Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Burn Out and Communes

When I hear the words 'burn out' I think of a car peeling out at a traffic light... and than think about how I feel like that burnt rubber on the ground.

Let's face it being a Mom or Dad is a tough job, and someday it feels too tough! Who would ever agree to a job that has no set schedule (nights, weekends and 24 hr shifts), includes having to dispose of hazardous waste, having some culinary, nursing, and teaching skills, and pays in hugs, kisses, and laughter.

We would be laughing at that employer all the way home, yet here we are doing that exact job. And it can often leave you feeling like burnt rubber!

I believe in the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child", unfortunately I have never had a village to help, though I have seriously considered joining a commune just to get some rest.
I have often daydreamed about how great it would be to have someone always around to help you out, especially when you feel like your about to lose your sanity! Though the fact that there is someone always around may cause a bout of insanity...

I guess the commune idea is a no go, plus I am not sure I could convince my husband to go with another one of my crazy ideas (and there has been plenty of them).

But isn't that what friends are for, to keep you away from crazy ideas? I often wonder what happened to the days when we helped another person out, when we noticed they were struggling to keep up with life...  I fear the have gone the way of the buffalo. I don't think we need a village or a commune but just a few good friends who would stop and care. Who are going to understand the daily grind of being a parent and want to help scrap you up off the asphalt.

My challenge to you is to reach out to a friend in need, offer something with no strings attached, help be that persons village. Don't let yours or someone else's life turn in to burnt rubber.


1 comment: